October 12, 2017

Family Themed Halloween Costumes

If there is one thing I love, it's family themed Halloween costumes. I seriously get so excited and can't wait to start planning our costumes every year. I start scouring Pinterest in August and wish we could have multiple costumes every Halloween. There are so many adorable themes to pick from! My Dad's birthday is on Halloween, so growing up Halloween was more of a birthday party than a spooky night of crazy fun. Now that I'm older I love living vicariously through my kids and torturing my husband with costumes. 😉 I think he secretly loves it! If you are looking for any costume ideas or inspiration here is a little throwback.

2013
For Kona's first Halloween he was Fred Flintstone! This was the only year we didn't do a family themed costume and I'm a little bummed we didn't. Since we didn't go trick-or-treating I didn't even think about dressing up. Oh well, this little cutie stole the show! To make his costume I took a white onesie and dyed it until I got the orange I wanted. I then cut out the spots and tie from felt and hot glued them on his onesie. I can't get over his little bald head and big brown eyes. They get me every time!


2014
The next year Kona dressed up as Peter Pan and J.D. and I were pirates. I really wanted to be Tinkerbell, but couldn't find a costume I loved for a reasonable price. I'm glad now we both went as pirates because I love how our costumes turned out. J.D.'s high school mascot was a Pirate so he wore one of his old jerseys from football along with an eye patch, ridiculously huge hat and hook. It was so fun and my husband thought of it all himself! I make Kona's costume again my dying a long sleeve shirt and a pair of girls leggings dark green. I then cut the bottom of the shirt and sleeves to give it the same look as Peter Pan. The hat was a little tricky, but it turned out really cute. I just took felt, cut out two sides, hot glued them together, folded up the bottom and glued it as well. I then attached the feather, also made out of felt, and a brown stretchy strap to go under his chin.


Sorry about the grainy picture! It's the only one I have of the three of us.


2015
I loved our costumes in 2015 and it all stemmed from Kona's obsession with elephants. He use to love elephants so much and I knew he would flip when he got to dress up as one. The day his costume came in the mail, I had him try it on make sure it fit and he wouldn't take it off. J.D. had to take him to the bank in his costume. Kai was a little over a week old so he went as a peanut, I was a tiger and J.D. was the ring master. I was so excited to go trick or treating I could hardly handle it. After we took these pictures we jumped in the car to head to my Dad's neighborhood and Kona threw up all over himself. After he threw up he was fine, but his costume was ruined. #momlife I have to admit I was bummed, and nobody but our neighbor got to see our costumes. We still had a great night watching Casper and handing out candy. Thank goodness we took pictures before we left for my Dad's!


2016
Last year our costumes came from Kona's obsession with Dinosaurs. Do you see a theme here?! I loved our costumes so much and especially loved having bone earrings and a huge bone in my hair. Oh the things we do for our kids! Kona smiled ear to ear all night and had the best time trick-or-treating. Since we didn't get to go the year before he didn't have any memories of it. He couldn't believe he got handfuls of candy from every house he walked up to. I'm sure he thought his parents had lost their minds!

I can't wait for this year's family themed costume. All the costumes are planned out and spoiler alert, it's once again something Kona is in love with. Next year it will be Kai's turn to pick, I promise!
I would love to hear what your favorite costume is you've ever worn!
The countdown is on, Halloween is in 19 days!
XOXO

To see more of our Halloween fun, make sure to follow us on Instagram!

5 comments:

  1. These are so cute. Love all the family themed Halloween costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all have so many fun costumes! I love the pirates and the dinosaur ones!
    Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute--interested to see what you pick this year! My favorite family costume was when my kids agreed to all be superheroes--wonder woman, batman, the flash...since then they've always done their own thing!
    Jaclyn @coff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you do family costumes - I love the Peter Pan one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a bummer about the elephant costume! He sure looked cute though!

    ReplyDelete