October 3, 2017

The Seasons Of Motherhood


Have you ever had one of those days where you need a time out? You feel weary, exhausted and your heart feels a little heavy. You keep spinning your wheels and feel like you aren't getting anywhere. I certainly have those days, and some weeks I have them more than I would like to admit. My Husband's crazy work schedule, plus having two little boys close in age, can leave me feeling run down. Motherhood is hard and those who say otherwise aren't telling the truth. Giving all of yourself 100% of the time is not easy. Some days I want to cry when there is one more mess to clean up at 7:00pm, or my boys aren't listening for the 100th time. We all have our own ways of dealing with the exhaustion, but one thing I tell myself is, this season of motherhood will not last forever.
I remember how difficult it was as a new mom and in the early stages of having two boys. I couldn't help but wonder if I would ever sleep again or shower without Kai crying. The first time I took both boys to the zoo, which was my first major outing by myself, I cried before we even left the house. I was so overwhelmed with feedings, trying to get us all ready and sticking to a schedule, that I broke down crying when I couldn't find Kona's shoes. That season of Motherhood has come and gone, as well as many others. Just as this season will change and morph into the next.
There is the season of sleepless nights, adjusting as a new family, not showering as often as we should or eating a warm meal. The season of terrible two's and all the frustration that comes with your child wanting to be more independent. The season of school aged children and wondering how they grew up before your eyes. There is the season of wondering if we are doing this motherhood gig the right way, crying because we have be driven to our breaking point, and losing our patience sometimes more often than we would like to admit. Above all this, motherhood is the season of pure love, happiness, joy and giving all of ourselves to our children. Motherhood is the most rewarding thing I have even done and I don't want to spend my time wishing this season away, even on the hardest days.
We don't know what the next season of Motherhood holds. We can look forward and guess what the joys and hardships will be, but we won't know until we get there. One thing is for sure, there will never be a season of Motherhood without trails. This season of motherhood may be difficult, but it is important to embrace it and find joys in the little things. Remember that it will not last forever, no matter how difficult it may be. Milk spilled for the 10th time, kids fighting, a huge pile of laundry, and kids hanging on your legs while you try to cook dinner will all pass. And when it does, you might look back and wish for it back.
XOXO

“Learning to be a Life- Giving Mom without regrets requires embracing the season you are in. You have to let go of the past and live in the present as you lay hold of the future. At each transition you will likely shed some tears as you realize that you can’t go back and re-live the past. You must move forward, facing the imperfections of your present, hoping for the future.”  
Sue Detweiler


Follow us on Instagram to see more of our everyday events!

1 comment:

  1. Erin, your post brought to mind lots of memories of when my two guys were small. They are 17 months apart, and I LIVED all that you've shared. And, I've loved every stage of motherhood so far. We're early into the teens. As frustrating as they sometimes are, my boys make me smile so big, make me cry with some of their questions as they're trying to figure things out. I could do without some of the attitude ( :o) ), but it's in learning to handle all the aspects of mothering that we grow as moms and women.

    And you're so right. We rarely know when the "last" of a certain behavior or turn of phrase will come from our kids. We may very well wish for it back. Being present in each moment, in spite of the weariness, makes all the difference to our kids. Letting go of certain expectations (SO HARD for me!) opens up a certain release to enjoy the moments more.

    LOVED your post. I popped over from #RaRaLinkup. It's nice to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete