September 13, 2017

Our Girls Trip To New York

I've been back from New York City for 2 week's and I feel like I'm just now caught up. This was one of those vacations that I needed a vacation once I got back. Have you ever had one of those? Our trip was beyond amazing, eye opening and to be honest, a little life changing. It's hard for me to put into words exactly how wonderful our time was. New York was everything I was expecting and nothing at all, all wrapped up in one. I went with my best friend from college, and it was both of our first times visiting the big apple. We were there for 6 days and we fell in love with the city. The people were great, the food was amazing and the atmosphere was electric. We can't wait to go back and are already talking about our next trip! It probably won't be for awhile, but hey girls can dream!

We flew in late Wednesday afternoon, grabbed an Uber (my very first ride in an Uber!) and took off to our apartment. We rented an apartment from Airbnb in midtown and loved it. The location was perfect and made getting around really easy. There were amazing restaurants, coffee shops and shopping around every corner. If you are a first time traveler to the city, I highly recommend staying in Midtown. I did a ton of research, talked to a few travel agents, and they all recommended staying here.

When we finally got to our apartment, both Sandy and I looked at each other and said, "Okay we're here, now what?!" We were a little overwhelmed, but so excited to be there and wanted to do everything. Since it was almost 5pm, we decided to grab some coffee (I had been up since 2:30am) at Starbucks and map out a plan. We soon learned there were no tables to sit at and map out our next move. So we did the next best thing and just started walking. Two small town girls, walking around the big apple for the first time, was quite the experience. Here are a few things we learned right off the bat.
1. Everybody is so dressed up. High heals and beautiful fashion is everywhere.
2. People don't wait on the sidewalk when waiting to walk, they crowd on the street.
3. Cars that are turning come right up to the crosswalk as you are walking. That took a little bit to get use to.
4. We looked like total tourists.


As we were walking we ran into Trump Towers and popped into H&M for some shopping. We both got some really fun pieces and had the best time trying things on and actually taking our time. (A total luxury when you're a mom!) After shopping we were both getting hungry and stopped at Redemption. We didn't know anything about this restaurant, but it had outdoor seating and good music so we stopped. I'm sure glad we did because the food and drinks were really good!
After dinner we headed back to the apartment to settle in and figure out the week ahead of us. We laid out a huge map on the floor and I got out all the notes I took from other blogs and the recommendations from you guys. Notes everywhere, pj's on, hair up, and us laughing till we were crying took me right back to our college days. :)


The next morning we got up early and hit the ground running.
Our first stop was breakfast at Sarabeth's. We absolutely loved this restaurant and highly recommend it. The food was amazing, our waiter was the nicest and the place was beautiful. I can't say enough good things!
After breakfast we walked over to the 9/11 memorial and museum. I was completely blown away by the 9/11 museum. It was very emotional for me and I cried several times. I cried for those who lost their lives, the families who lost their loved ones and for all the people still affected today. The museum was stunning. Every detail was laid out in the most thoughtful and beautiful way. From phone call recordings, to the steal that was first hit by the plane, fire trucks that were destroyed, the survivor staircase, and a dedication to all the lives that were lost. I'm so glad we went and I encourage everyone to go.
 
Afterwards, we walked to the Brooklyn Bridge and did a little sight seeing. The walk was so fun. There were tons of beautiful buildings, statues and little parks everywhere.

From there we walked through China town and Little Italy and ate at Ruby's. The pasta was amazing and atmosphere was fun. I recommend it!!
After dinner we grabbed an Uber and headed to Macy's on 34th. I was in love the minute we walked in the door! We didn't stay for long, only because we still wanted to see the Empire State Building, but I could have spent hours here!
Up next on our jam-packed day was the Empire State Building. This was something I didn't have my heart set on doing, but oh man am I glad we did. It was one of my favorite moments of the whole trip. We went around 8:00 and the timing was perfect. There was almost nobody in line when we got there so we were able to get right in. Now it does cost money to go up (which I had no idea) so just be aware of that. We saw families leaving because it was too expensive for everyone to go up. 
 The view from 80+ stories up was spectacular and I found it to be incredibly peaceful. It was quiet and gave me sometime to think. When you are standing up there, looking over a city with millions of people, you sure do feel small. You realize you are such a small part of this world, but that everybody together is apart of something bigger. I thought about 9/11 and what the people of New York have been threw. I thought about how resilient and strong they are. They have faced something a lot of us can't even imagine and yet the city keeps building and getting stronger. I want to put this type of resiliency into my life. To grow, change, and love life no matter what is thrown my way.
After the Empire State Building it was time for a treat! We got ice cream cones and saw some more amazing sights on the way back to our apartment.
  One of my favorite shows!
Our first day in the city was huge! We walked over 21,000 steps and were on our feet all day. I will probably say this a million times, but good walking shoes is a must. Both Sandy and I got a pair of Allbirds and loved them! They are amazing and the only reason our feet and legs weren't killing us by the end of the day. I don't think I've ever loved a pair of flats as much as I love these shoes. 

 Make sure to check out part 2 and part 3!
XOXO

Check us out on Instagram for more of our everyday events!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is incredible. I love your thoughts about the 9/11 memorial and having more resiliency. ❤ Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete